The IOSH Managing Safely course is designed for Managers and Supervisors in any sector and any organisation.
It is designed to get Managers up to speed on the practical actions they need to take to handle health and safety in their teams.
1. Introducing managing safely
Some Managers may see health and safety as an add-on to their role – even an intrusion. The first module makes it clear that Managers are accountable for their teams, and makes a persuasive case for managing safely.
2. Assessing risks
This module defines and demystifies ‘risk’ and ‘risk assessment’. Risk assessments and a simple scoring system are introduced, and delegates carry out a series of assessments.
3. Controlling risk
Here the session tackles cutting risks down, concentrating on the best techniques to control key risks, and how to choose the right method.
4. Understanding your responsibilities
This module looks at the demands of the law and how the legal system works, and introduces a health and safety management system.
5. Identifying hazards
All the main issues any operation has to deal with are covered in this module – entrances and exits, work traffic, fire, chemicals, electricity, physical and verbal abuse, bullying, stress, noise, housekeeping and the working environment, slips, trips and falls, working at heights, computers and manual handling.
6. Investigating accidents and incidents
The session starts with why accidents should be investigated, and goes on to cover why things go wrong, and how to carry out an investigation when they do.
7. Measuring performance
This module explains how checking performance can help to improve health and safety. Delegates learn how to develop basic performance indicators, and get to grips with auditing and proactive and reactive measuring.
8. Protecting our environment
A short but effective introduction to waste and pollution leads into a look at how organisations and individual managers can get involved in cutting down environmental impacts.
It will teach delegates what they need to know, and are perhaps reluctant to learn about, in a refreshingly informal way.
Managing safely won’t turn delegates into safety experts – but it will give them the knowledge and tools to tackle health and safety issues they are responsible for. Importantly, it brings home just why health and safety is such an essential part of their job.
Successful delegates are awarded an IOSH Managing Safely certificate.
Employers will benefit from:
- Nationally recognised and respected certificated training for their managers and supervisors
- Peace of mind offered by training that’s designed and quality controlled by the Chartered body for health and safety professionals
- Flexibility – the course can be delivered in slots that suit the business over four days
- Two key areas – health and safety and environmental basics – are covered in a single programme
- Full PowerPoint presentation featuring state-of-the-art animation
- Clear delegate workbook with sections for notes and Q & A sessions, and plenty of simple, custom-designed illustrations – no clip art!
- Board games and quizzes to bring health and safety to life and maximise interactivity
- A bank of assessments – delegates’ understanding of health & safety basics is evaluated using multi-format questions and a risk assessment project