PRACTICAL STEPS TO STOP THE RISK OF INFECTION
There is currently no vaccine to prevent this type of Coronavirus, and antibiotics do not work against viral infections. The best way to stop infection is to avoid being exposed. Everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of the virus include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the bin. “Catch it, bin it, kill it.”
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Avoid unnecessary direct contact (shaking hands) or by touching hand contact surfaces (door handles, tables, kettle handles, kitchen equipment, etc.).
These actions are easy to understand, simple and cheap to implement and are common familiar practices in food premises. According to the World Health Organisation, following these methods will be enough to stop the spread of infection in most healthy individuals.